Exterior Power Washing: What You Need To Know
If you want to make your home or business look like new, then exterior power washing is the way to go. It’s not difficult to do yourself, but if you don’t know what you are doing it can actually damage your surfaces and create more problems than it solves. Hiring a professional will get rid of dirt buildup on walls and other areas around the building while also removing any mold that may be lurking in hard-to-reach places. In addition, they provide a fresh new look for an old property with minimal work from you.
Power washing is not difficult to do yourself, but if you don’t know what you are doing it can actually damage your surfaces and create more problems than it solves. Here are some steps on how to do power washing:
Step 1: Power washing should always be done when the surfaces are cool and dry to prevent water from seeping into cracks and crevices in the exterior of your home or business which can cause more damage than it prevents.
Step 2: Power washing should always be done from a ladder at a distance of 12 inches from the surface being cleaned. This will ensure that you are not putting too much pressure on a single area and causing damage.
Step 3: Before setting anything up, make sure to correctly set both your spray nozzle and pressure washer. You want a frequency of about 1500 psi, with a fan spray between 40°- 60°. If you are using a tip that has been pre-set, then make sure that it is no more than 1/4 inch from the surface being cleaned.
Step 4: In order to avoid pressure marks, start from the bottom and work your way up. It is also a good idea to clean an area no larger than 20 square feet at a time.
Step 5: Power wash in a back-and-forth motion towards yourself, never in an up or down motion.
Step 6: After you have finished the power washing, allow the surface to dry for at least 24 hours before walking on it.
Step 7: If you live in an area with four seasons, power wash your exterior surfaces during the off-season so that they will be ready for pressure washing when Spring comes around again.
Benefits of Exterior Power Washing:
There are many benefits to exterior power washing. Some of these benefits are:
- The removal of dirt, dust, and grime from all surfaces of the home or business.
- The prevention of mold and mildew growth, as well as the removal of any existing mold or mildew.
- A fresh new look for an old property with minimal work from you.
How to Choose a Professional Power Washing Company:
If you don’t want to make mistakes in doing power washing by yourself contact or hire some professional to do the job for you. When looking for a professional power washing company, it’s important to keep in mind the following tips:
- Make sure to do your research and ask for referrals from friends and family.
- Once you have a list of potential companies, ask them for references and contact those references.
- Check the company’s licensing and insurance.
- Ask about the company’s experience with power washing specific surfaces (e.g., vinyl, wood, stucco, etc.).
- Get an estimate in writing before hiring a company.
- Ask about training, certifications, and experience related to the types of surfaces you want power washed (e.g., ASTM Certification if you are having concrete or masonry cleaned).
- Request that they bring out samples of their work for your review before hiring them.
- If you’re using a contractor-based business, ask for proof that they are licensed and insured.
- If you’re hiring a company to do work at your home, be sure they bring protection (e.g., plastic or tarps) so that the power washing doesn’t get on your landscaping.
- Carefully check out any company before you hire them.
The exterior of your home or business is one of its first lines of defense against the elements, so knowing how to keep it clean and well maintained is vital to preserving that all-important first impression. If left unattended, outdoor surfaces can become filthy over time, detracting from the curb appeal of your property.
210 N Main St Suite 104, Goodlettsville, TN 37072